Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Reverse Culture Shock

Jim was sick on the day of his last Intercultural Class, so I was the substitute teacher!  One of the topics of the class was re-entry to the US after being in another country for four months.  Jim had already planned much of the material about re-entry, and I just added a few twists.

Many of us have started putting "a foot in both worlds".  The students are thinking about graduations of younger siblings, upcoming weddings, internships they are starting, and family gatherings.  They are anticipating going home...  AND, they are very sad about leaving here.  They wonder how things have changed while they were gone.  They wonder how they themselves have changed, and how the "new them" will fit back home.

So, I asked them to share - in pairs - one concern they had about going back to the US.  Once again, they were thoughtful.  A sampling of their concerns follows:
  • Irritability at materialism - in others, in myself
  • Short attention span of listeners to my stories
  • Not even being able to tell my stories (finding the words, the need for background digressions)
  • Efficiency of the US vs. Slower pace of here
  • A happy/sad disconnect: "My family will be happy to see me, and won’t understand why I’m sad (at leaving SA)." 
  • Getting so caught up in activity that I "don't remember" SA 
  • The loss of each other.
    Flat 8: Tucker, Andrew, Isaac, Ryan & Pat
    Flat 7: Sydney, Emily, Liz, Mary & Ryan
    Flat 6: Margaret, Britt, Shannon, Margaret & Sarah
Flat 11: Isaak, Chris, Bobby, Matt and Joe























This last one is very real - and may be more unique here than other study abroad programs.  Five to a two-bedroom flat, they live virtually in each others' pockets for four months.  They have seen each other through some worst and best times.  These men and women have treated each other with honesty, care and respect.  Now, they are dispersing across the US for the summer, and wonder how they'll react to not coming "home" at the end of the day to each other.

Frankly, I wonder the same for myself.

Flat 13: Melissa, Trang, Kelcey, Michelle, & Molly
Flat 14: Shaz, Meggan, Erin, Molly & Danika

2 comments:

  1. Connie --- It has been a treat to follow your blog. You will all do fine on Re-Entry. Your students are very insightful --- they've hit the nail on the head with their list of concerns. They will never forget their experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im getting sad reading this, it seems sad for me to think you are all leaving. Such a great group of students. I was, and still am impressed with all of them.

    ReplyDelete