Wednesday, May 23, 2012

How to Speak South African, part 2

My earlier post on "How to Speak South African" contained some of the slightly unique words or phrases I noticed when I first arrived.  Examples include the use of "costume" for swimsuit, "diary" for daily schedule, or "mince" for ground beef.  After four months, there are a few refinements I need to mention:

"Now now."  - Back in February, I spoke of "Just now."  I wrote then, "While seemingly clear, this phrase actually means 'eventually'. ... It might mean 10 minutes, 10 hours, or never."  After four months, I have learned that there is a companion to "just now."  It is "Now now."  When "now now" is used, it means right now.  I realized I was pretty acclimated when someone recently told me that I could get something "just now," and I heard myself saying, "Oh, shame.  I don't want it just now, I need it now now."  (As I walked out of the store, I thought to myself, "What did you just say?")


"Howzit?'  - I don't use this phrase much, but our students love it as a handy, short way to ask "How is it going?" or "How was your day?" or "What's happening tonight?"


"Izzit" - For many weeks, when I heard 'izzit', I thought it was simply the question, "Is it?"  For instance I might say, "It's raining outside," and the person answers, "Izzit."  I'd respond, "Yes, it is."  Gradually I realized that 'izzit' is used so frequently, it is more of a universal response to almost any spoken sentence.  Depending on the inflection of the voice, the meaning ranges from "Oh, that's nice." to "Oh, my God!"  


There are times when I am left baffled.  At times when someone asks me where I'm from and I answer "America," they'll respond, "Izzit."  I can't always tell whether it's meant as a good "izzit" or a bad "izzit."  

No comments:

Post a Comment