Thursday, March 8, 2012

Muffy

On Wednesday, my new friend Shelley took me out near Addo to meet a childhood friend, and see the work she is doing.  First, I must admit a bias of mine.  I immediately discount any woman with a name like Muffy.  In the case of Muffy Miller, I was extremely wrong!  A small, blond woman, she is a spitfire.  Once again, she is a person doing extraordinary things on a shoestring budget.

Muffy first got involved with a squatter's camp that abuts her citrus farm when she noticed small children crawling over an illegal garbage dump, scavenging along with the dogs and the pigs for something to eat.  This was in 1994.  Muffy decided she had to act.  She started by organizing jazz festivals from 1994-2004, the proceeds of which went to an education fund for the children.  But, that wasn't enough for her.

Originally a teacher herself, Muffy decided to build a pre-school.  She started teaching with just a few supplies.  She said it took six months before more than a few children would come.  Now, children as small as two years old walk themselves to her school, where two paid teachers teach from morning to eve.

Today the two-room preschool sits like an oasis in the middle of stark poverty.  Unemployment hovers at 50%; the shacks have no lights or water.  But, the preschool is an oasis in more ways that one.  When it opened, the ground was "blessed" by the Catholic bishop, and Muffy says it is viewed by the people as a haven -- a place where anyone can come to snatch a moment of peace from a possibly violent, most definitely hard life.  Not one thing has ever been stolen; no one has ever been hurt there.  And, after almost 10 years, the people of Langbos community are next in line for RDP built houses.

Muffy estimates that 60% of the people in the community have AIDS/HIV, including the children.  But, with anti-viral drugs, this is not a death sentence any longer.  She has now seen "her" pre-school kids go on to elementary and high school.

Muffy spends her days rounding up used clothes, basic pap (corn mush), beads, crayons, play equipment, any donation.  Muffy says she's never missed a payroll --- yet.  At the same time, she's forging ahead with her plans for a better elementary school in the area.

Some older kids flag her down as we drive past.  She embraces them and says, "Keep studying.  Your education can NEVER be taken away from you."  I marvel, feel almost numb.  I realize that I am doing the equivalent of nothing compared to the people like Muffy who continue to fight against a mountain of unmet need...

(If you are interested in helping her out, let me know.  She has established a charitable fund, and I can get you her email information.)

4 comments:

  1. Incredible story. I hope we also have the opportunity to visit this wonderful oasis. It's getting closer to our departure date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspiring! What a great way to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is incredible! (How did I even come across this? Google...) I was in South Africa in 2008 and visited the "dump school" when the HIV rate was 80%. Glad to see she estimates it being lower! I toured around with Muffy and her friend to some of the houses they do house calls on to pray with them.

    I visited again in 2010, where I was studying at the University of Cape Town. Glad to see you had such a wonderful time. I've been trying to get in contact with Muffy and Charles to make a generous donation. Please let me know their contact info. My email is hayley[dot]crabtree[at]gmail[dot]com Thanks!
    Hayley

    ReplyDelete