Saturday, February 11, 2012

"We're Out of Warthog"

Well, I tried.  I have been fascinated by the prospect of eating warthog.  Friday night I ordered it, only to be told that "the kitchen was out of warthog!"  It's probably just as well.  With the re-release of The Lion King, I would have had some grandkids upset that I ate Pumbaa.  I ordered springbok instead - excellent.  Tonight, Jim cooked us some ostrich.  It was really good - and no, it didn't taste like chicken.  It actually was closer to beef.

I love trying foods that are unique to an area.  One restaurant that all of us here have become addicted to is Nando's.  It is a worldwide chain (I know it's in D.C., Jean!) that started here in Port Elizabeth.  The original place was opened by a Portuguese family, and was called Fernando's.  It is a fast food restaurant, but everything is cooked fresh.  Great, spicy sauces.

I also enjoy noticing a few differences in food packaging.  My favorite so far in South Africa is found on the corner or flap you use to open a container.  Here, it is clearly labeled:  "Lift thingy"

1 comment:

  1. I'll look for it! But I won't be ordering warthog or springbok or ostrich!

    ReplyDelete