Monday, February 27, 2012

Braai and Bridge

Saturday, Jim and I were invited to a local couple's home for a barbeque, which is called a braai here.  We sat next to their daughter on the plane when we came to Port Elizabeth, and her Mom and I had met for morning tea once before.  Their names are Peter and Shelley Owen.  They are our age - and very nice.

When Shelley and I met earlier in the week, we started with a walk along the beach.  She turned to me and asked if I had brought along my costume.  Thankfully, I was able to tell from the context that she was referring to a swimsuit, so I didn't make a fool of myself in my answer.

A braai (pronounced as in "high") is a very popular way to entertain in South Africa.  People often bring their own meat selection, and then eat and visit late into the evening.  Some guide books state that South Africa introduced the barbeque to the world.  Surprisingly, there are very few restaurants that serve barbequed meat, but you'll see many people setting up grates between bricks or over metal drums in the parks.

The Owens' lovely home has two braais built in:  one braai is in their large garden patio room;  the second smaller one is built in right off their kitchen.   We were served a delicious meal in the patio room.  We brought wine (South African, of course) and fresh fruit.  On their braai, Peter grilled kudu sausages, Boerewors sausage, lamb chops, chicken skewers, and portabella mushrooms stuffed with feta cheese.  They also had broasted potatoes, a tomato salad, cooked pumpkin, and several other items.  (I'll be embarrassed if they ever come to visit and I serve them soup and a salad!)

After supper, we played some bridge - men against the women.  Shelley and I squeaked by the guys by thirty points.  All in all, a great evening.

1 comment:

  1. So great to meet locals and spend time with them! The real way to learn about the culture. So, should we interpret that your wore your "swimming costume" and tried out the ocean then?
    Sounds like a wonderful evening and we should that South Africa for introducing the world to BBQ!

    ReplyDelete