Thursday, February 16, 2012

Red Location Valentine's Day

Valentines' eve, we got "dressed up" and went back to the Mamas' backpackers location for a party.


We were welcomed with big smiles, and some hugs.  We watched native Xhosa dancers.  I can't describe the drumming, the feet moving, the singing, the joy.  Maybe these pictures can show you...






Meanwhile, the Mamas cooked up a meal.  It was fun watching the reactions of the students as they tasted: pumpkin (familiar), samp and beans (less so), millet and cabbage, and stomach lining of the ox.  Only the bravest of the brave tried the last item.  Even I left mine on my plate after one bite!

Tucker Gets in the Act
It was their first-ever event held for international guests, and several local dignitaries were there.  One man said to the students, "I hope that you will come back in 10 years or 20 years, and see a much-used neighborhood center filled with people from around the world.  And, you'll be able to say, "I was here at their first event."  I hope that too!



No comments:

Post a Comment