Saturday, August 4, 2012

Camping in Botswana


We experienced three very different levels of camping, from high end to basic.  Our first two nights, we were treated like royalty.  Our "outfitter" was Chobe under Canvas, and camping with them is far from roughing it.  


When we arrived at camp (inside Chobe National Park), each couple was shown to a large two roomed tent.  The main room of each tent had a queen-sized regular bed, bedside tables with lamps, a wardrobe, and chest.  The second room held our bathroom with a flush toilet!   Every day after our safaris, we came home to water they had heated and put in a shower-tank container, so we even had hot showers!   Luxurious.

Can you see the elephants out foraging
by our tent at night?

We were required to be back at camp by dark, which was usually around 6 p.m.  Chobe National Park is good at assuring the nocturnal animals a free reign.  We'd sit around the campfire - "African TV" -  and tell stories of our day.  We were served many-course dinners on china, and had access to a full bar.  There were only three tents in use in the camp - John and Cheryl, Jim and I, and another couple from London.  We were babied.

We usually went to bed early.  The only way you knew you were "tenting it" was the sounds of the night.  You'd lay in bed and listen to animals padding by.  Once, elephants pulled up and ate a small tree right behind our tent.  (I took this poor picture of them from between the tent's flaps.)  Another time, a honey badger got into the kitchen tent and threw the pots and pans around.   Off in the distance, we heard a family of baboons scream.

You fill the bucket with water, haul it up high,
and the water pressure that results gives
a semi-decent shower.
The view from our Oddballs bathroom
When we reached the Okavango Delta, we camped at a more basic base camp.  Oddballs Camp was spartan and beautiful.   The bathroom was fully functional, with a "bush shower" consisting of a pail that is lifted high using a pulley system.

We also went out for two nights of regular tent camping, and daily walking safaris.  Camping in Okavango was akin to camping in the Boundary Waters.  You heard no manmade noise, except for your own voices.  There were no cars, no motors, not a refrigerator hum nor cell phone ring.
Someone's lunch : Water buffalo

It was beautiful - and dangerous.

On our walking safaris, John, Cheryl, Jim and I were most concerned about lions, as we saw the remains of the various animals they had killed.  Our two guides - who had grown up in the area - seemed most concerned about elephants.  (I was surprised by that.)  They taught us what to do if approached by various animals.





If approached by a/an:
  • Leopard - Do not look it in the eye; bend over and protect your stomach.
  • Lion - Do look it in the eye.  Stand tight together, if in a group.  Stand tall.
Being on foot, we saw more tranquil scenes-
Beautiful!
  • Water Buffalo - Get high.  Find a climbable tree or termite mound.
  • Elephant - Go to sturdiest protection (tree); stand behind it.
  • Hippo - Get out of his path to water.  If there is something to lie behind, get down.  They can't jump.  They'll go around.

We never had to put our teachings into practice, thank goodness!  I figured I'd still be thinking about what I was to do, when "GULP", I'd be gone.



3 comments:

  1. Strong And Powerful Love Spell To Win Your Ex Back. contact Dr.Murugu dr.makinidrmurugu@gmail.com, whatsApp +90 538 069 4285.

    I have decided that I am going to spend the whole day on the internet just to make sure that a lot of people are able to read this my testimony about Dr. Murugu who is a powerful spell caster from Africa After been abandon by my lover I was so lonely that every day that I decided to go through the net for some relationships tips, I never knew that this was the road map that will secure the return of my lover. After reading a lot of tips on how to restore my relationship in a better way I discovered that Dr.Murugu has a lot of recommendation than other spell casters, So with this I had my mind made up that Dr.Murugu was the right person for the job, And I contacted Dr.Murugu through his details which I saw on the internet and i was so happy that I chose to work with Dr.Murugu because his work was 100% perfect and the spell brought my lover back to me with fast relief you can also contact him for help now email.. dr.makinidrmurugu@gmail.com OR dr.makinidrmurugu@yahoo.com
    Website: https://drmuruguspellhome.com
    Website: https://drmakinidrmurugu.blogspot.com
    whatsApp number +90 538 069 4285.

    ReplyDelete
  2. REAL URGENT EFFECTIVE SPELL CASTER TO HELP BRING BACK EX-LOVER AND SAVE MARRIAGE. Email: dr.makinidrmurugu@gmail.com

    Hello everyone my is Elisa Kelly am so overwhelmed with the joy all thanks to Dr. Murugu's spell. my husband left me for another woman a few years back and I was very devastated cause I never did anything wrong to him, I was left with my two kids and a job that pays little. I was almost giving up until I saw a testimony online about Dr. Murugu and I decided to contact him. I explained my problem to him and he assured me I'll see a positive result after 24hurs, surprisingly my husband came back the day after the spell begging me to forgive him and promised to never leave. my husband has been back for 6 months now and we've never had any issues, am glad I didn't doubt Dr. Murugu cause he sure can solve any problems with fast relief you can also contact him for help now email: dr.makinidrmurugu@gmail.com WhatsApp/call +90 538 069 4285
    https://drmakinidrmurugu.blogspot.com
    Website: http://drmuruguspells.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to Avoid Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Scams Lost Recovery Masters Do you want to recover your lost bitcoin? Do you wish to get your BTC money back that was stolen? To do this, you must establish a connection with the proper agency. Jeanson James Ancheta wizard is a Group specializing in instances involving cryptocurrencies and fraudulent investment schemes. It is a private investigative and funds recovery organization. I highly recommend their services to anyone in need of Bitcoin recovery. To get in touch with Lost jeanson james ancheta wizard and report your issue Contact details below:Contact him on Email:(jeansonjamesanchetawizard62@gmail.com) or WhatsApp number: +447529524472.

    ReplyDelete