Saturday, April 21, 2012

Poetry - Welcome to Our South Africa

Before I left America, I remember someone saying, “Once you’ve been there, you will always be homesick for South Africa.”  I remember thinking, “Will I really?  I’ve been to a lot of wonderful places in my world.  Will this be so different?”

Once here, I rapidly fell in love with South Africa - the beauty, the complexities, the people.  There is a Shona saying:  moyo muti unomera paunoda, which basically means “your soul is like a tree that takes root where your heart is.”   With less than half of our time remaining, I am starting to transition my heart.  I am missing my kids, grandkids, and friends in America!  Yet I know that I will be leaving a piece of my heart behind.   

In South African Literature, we recently read the book Welcome to Our Hillbrow by Phaswane Mpe.  Professor Mary West asked each of us to write a poem, based on the book and/or our experiences.  I will always remember a line from the poem written by our student Bobby Fischer: “Welcome to South Africa – a vacation, with consequences.”   

The morning the poem was due, none of our flats had any water.    This was the poem written by Tucker Mithuen, Liz Stocker, and Isaac Meyer:

First World Problems
Welcome to our flat, it has no water
Welcome to Missionvale, it has little water
-It is now flooding-
Welcome to our first world problems, where we complain about not showering for a day
Welcome to our rich, privileged study abroad trip, where we ignore South Africa's problems
Like everyone else
Welcome to our self-righteous voluntourism 
Even in self-criticism we probably still don't get it
Welcome to our South Africa- Are we there yet?

I’m also including my poem – the first I’ve written since third grade!  (In the novel, Tiragalong is a small, rural hometown.  Hillbrow is a poor township the author moves to outside of Johannesburg, where Africans from other countries are not welcome.)

A Driving Tour of South Africa
Poem based on Welcome to Our Hillbrow by Phaswane Mpe

Welcome to our Tiragalong … 
Filled with family and first loves,
… Superstition, suspicion
…Where normal is known since you were small.

Welcome to our Hillbrow…
… Cultural crossroad next to the City of Gold
… Where some homeland stories are never told
… Open to black Africans, but not all.

Welcome to our Port Elizabeth…
… Where complexity and riptides run a mile deep
… Where only a few young women can soundly sleep
            …Are we complicit in it all?

Welcome to our South Africa …
… Where street names – and housing conditions - change every block
… Where red robots tell you when to stop
… Where Danger comes from The Right, and then maybe The Left...

We’re connected to All…  
…Get out of the car!

1 comment:

  1. I've been thinking about this post since I read it a few days ago. I didn't comment then but have had a nagging feeling that I must post.
    Truth be told, I did leave a piece of my heart in South Africa. I think about the experience of being there daily and look forward to reading the blog with mixed emotions because I'm not there.
    The students poem is powerful. Bravo for them.

    ReplyDelete