Monday, January 30, 2012

Tragedy at King's Beach

Woke up today at 5:00.  (Progress!)  I went for my morning walk at 6 a.m. on King's Beach across the road.  I have gone every morning since I've arrived.  There are several walkers I recognize now -- the older man (i.e. my age) with his two dogs, the woman in the light purple swimsuit coverup, a couple and their two dogs. We nod and wave now, but haven't spoken.

It was only after I returned from my walk that I heard the news.  Yesterday, a man is presumed to have drowned in King's Beach.  The wind was especially strong yesterday (Sunday), which may have affected the rip tides.  Three people had to be rescued, including a father and son.  They were OK.  Then an unconscious man was pulled in, and taken to the hospital.   When he recovered, he asked about his swimming companion.  He is now presumed drowned.

A sober reminder:  The sea is a powerful entity, never to be underestimated.

No comments:

Post a Comment