Saturday, January 28, 2012

"I've got cows."

One of our students named Shannon came to South Africa early.  She arrived in country January 2, and has since been volunteering at the YMCA near Durban.  As a young, blonde woman, she has been having quite a few adventures!  I love one of her very first experiences, it occurred as she took a cab from the airport.  I'll let her words speak.

"I met my cab driver, Michael, in Durban.  He was proud to show me pictures of his 2 month old daughter on his phone while he was driving.  We came to a checkpoint in the road and the young man taking the money looked at me and said "I have cows."  We continued to drive.  I asked Michael what that meant exactly.  He explained that when a man likes what he sees in a woman, he will say, "I have cows," or, "I have 10 (or any number of) cows," because in Africa, it is customary that when a man marries, he must pay the wife a certain number of cows.  Michael said that he paid 11 cows to his wife last year for their wedding."

I smiled when I read her story.  What a welcome to Africa!  (So far no one has offered even one measly calf for me yet.  Stay tuned...)

No comments:

Post a Comment